I am a computer vision engineer at Facebook Reality Labs with a background in particle physics.
During my postdoc at EPFL, my research focused on the human component of self-driving to make autonomous cars behave more like human drivers. My projects in perception determine the social cues of pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers providing a richer representation of the world that is relevant for social behavior. My control projects investigate end-to-end trainable policies that obey social norms, e.g., a robot should not try to pass between two people that are talking to each other and instead go around. Selected publications:
- MonoLoco: Monocular 3D Pedestrian Localization and Uncertainty Estimation.
Bertoni, Kreiss, Alahi. Presented at ICCV2019 in Seoul.
- PifPaf: Composite Fields for Human Pose Estimation.
Kreiss, Bertoni, Alahi. Presented at CVPR2019 in Los Angeles.
- Crowd-Robot Interaction: Crowd-aware Robot Navigation with Attention-based Deep Reinforcement Learning.
Chen, Liu, Kreiss, Alahi. Presented at ICRA2019 in Montreal.
As the PI for an SNSF Spark Grant, I was investigating new ideas for the Social Force model (presented at STRC2019 and hEART2019) and human path prediction in the context of autonomous vehicles.
Before my postdoc, I was the Senior Data Scientist at Sidewalk Labs (Alphabet) in New York City where I focused on machine learning for urban environments. My background is in particle physics where I hold a PhD from NYU and where I worked with Kyle Cranmer on physics and statistical analyses for ATLAS at CERN. I was on the core team that discovered the Higgs boson and the first person to see the 5σ threshold crossed. Selected publications:
- Higgs Discovery: Observation of a new particle in the search for the Standard Model Higgs boson with the ATLAS detector at the LHC.
The ATLAS collaboration. Physics Letters B 716 (1), 1-29.
paper Science Breakthrough of the Year
- The RooStats Project: The standard High Energy Physics statistics package.
Moneta, Belasco, Cranmer, Kreiss, Lazzaro, Piparo, Schott, Verkerke, Wolf.
PoS ACAT2010 (2010) 057.